As I mentioned in my last post, I have a few makes that I completed in May that I want to share with you.
Starting with this… my version of the Sew Over It Vintage Shirt Dress.
I have had this pattern for a while but it has been one of those that I have been putting off. God knows why, it’s a lovely pattern and very straightforward to make.
I put it on my Make Nine list to try to make it a priority this year but it wasn’t until the #sewtogetherforsummer shirt dress challenge was launched on Instagram that I finally decided to have a go at making it.
There are options to make this dress with or without sleeves, I choose to go sleeveless as I wanted it to be a dress I could wear in summer. I got this lovely light weight chambray with little anchors from Guthrie & Ghani and paired it with some cute red buttons.
I personally love the buttons but a couple of people have told me they are not so keen. Meh, my dress – my rules. Oh and as a side note, the pattern says you need 2.20m of fabric, I used less than 2m for mine.
My measurements for this pattern have me between a size 12 and 14 but, going off the finished garment measurements on the envelope, there is so much ease in this pattern. In the end I decided to cut a size 10. I’m glad I did, it stills feels pretty roomie and overall I’m happy with the fit.
What I am not so happy about is the length. Fine worn with tights but it’s shorter that I like to wear my skirts if I’m going bare legged. My fault for not checking the finished dress length on the pattern envelope. If I made it again (I have just bought some Liberty Tana Lawn that is crying out to be a shirt dress) I would lengthen the bodice by 1.5 inches and lengthen the skirt by 3 inches or so, so that it sits just below my knees. By the way, I am 5 feet 5 inches, so not particularly tall.
But generally I am happy enough with my Vintage Shirt Dress. Length issues aside, it’s a cute dress that I’ll wear loads .